[Duboistalk] Bujinkan martial arts in Lander.

Hannes Stueckler hstueckler at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 10:24:51 MST 2011

Special thanks to Kidz Inc. Daycare for donating training space to us for
the winter again!  They are terrific people, and it is a very nice facility.

----------------------

This is what is happening right now:

We had a great ice training session recently.  We got out on the ice and
practiced the fundamental techniques of the art.  If you move right, you
don't fall.  It is that simple.  One of the more interesting insights that
came from this is that if your kamae (roughly translates to "stance") is
good, you may continue to slide after a punch, kick or other technique, but
you are on balance and able to keep moving.  It is very much like ice
skating.  That is to say that you are slipping, but on balance and in
control.

Our review of the basic techniques has brought us around to punching and
kicking, so we are spending a significant amount of time on that right now.
The focus of the training is not so much about "whacking" your opponent as
it is about controlling the intensity of the fight.  Learning to punch is
not that hard, after all, but learning to use your punches for maximum
benefit does take some focus and self mastery.  It is easy to get caught up
in the moment.

The school we are studying this year (shindenfudo ryu) uses impact to keep
the opponent off balance and under control.  In the beginning the techniques
seem to progress along the lines of "Your opponent attacks you.  You move to
safety while counterattacking.  You hit the opponent and knock him down.",
but as we peel back the layers by training, there is much more in there than
that.  Of course, our training method is slow and gentle for beginners, so
don't worry too much about getting knocked down...  It is going to be a fun
year!

Training intensity is slow and easy for beginners, and increases as you are
able to handle it.  More experienced students assist the new ones in a
non-competitive atmosphere.

We are a non-profit martial arts training group.  All money goes to
improving our equipment /  training.  Cost is $25/month.

If you are interested in training with us, check out the web site below for
more info and details or feel free to contact me.

As always, we are a great training opportunity for an unbeatable price.

Sincerely,

Hannes Stueckler

Bujinkan Buyu Lander Dojo
Traditional and Modern Self Defense.