[Duboistalk] Bujinkan Martial Arts in Lander

Hannes Stueckler hstueckler at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 05:51:01 MDT 2011

Hello Lander (and points beyond),

This month we are expanding our understanding of the basics.  We are still
reviewing the eight fundamental techniques (Kihon Happo), and have continued
looking at them from a practical perspective.  We have studied them with a
piece of rope or cord in the defender's hand, and while the defender is
sitting in a chair.  We will continue like this  to expand our comfort with
other weapons and environments.  For example, we will learn how to use the
techniques if the other person is holding the rope, knife, stick, sword,
handgun, rifle, etcetera.  We will also combine those ideas into different
environments as well, such as from against a wall, in a doorway, from backed
into a corner, from the ground, or buckled into a car seat.  The
possibilities are endless, and we will play with these ideas as the
inspiration moves us.

It is very important to practice our techniques not only from unfamiliar
surroundings, but also from different angles.  For example, if you are taken
by surprise from the left rear, right front, right side, and so forth.  If
we have to defend ourselves physically (or emotionally) it will likely never
be from an ideal condition.  Because of this, we train to look for
opportunity in the chaos of conflict.

One of the most fun aspects of our training is that there is very little
rigid curriculum.  While is it true that there are certain techniques that
must be learned correctly, we have the freedom to try new and interesting
ways to apply them.  This is the "art" of martial art.  Just like painting a
picture, we are free to mix our techniques, environment, equipment, timing,
distance and angle to create something new and interesting every time we
train.  When you begin training, it is very much a color by the numbers
experience, but as your skills grow, so does your artistic freedom.  As we
experiment in the dojo, we learn by experience what works and what doesn't.
Just like an artist learns to paint...

Come and train with us and find out how much more there is to this than
simply fighting.  I have some really cool mind games on the back burner that
I might mix in as well.

Bufu  Ikkan

Hannes Stueckler

“Let me embrace thee, sour adversity, for wise men say it is the wisest
course.”
~William Shakespeare